Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Three Hundred Runs He Took and Rewrote All the Books

 
My love of Australia is well-documented on this blog. I've developed, in the almost eight years since I first visited, something of an obsession with the Lucky Country. An odd choice for a sun-fearing girl like me, I know. But, I can't help it. I fell in love. I blame Australia, really. For being so damn awesome. On our return trip in 2008, the romance deepened, and every day since, there's a little part of me that wishes I was there.

It looks like I may get my wish in June, when the man and I will try and get back Down Under for a visit. And hopefully a little while after that, something a bit more permanent.

Now, as much as I love Australia, and I do, there are certain things about the place that confuse me. Why do the spiders have to be so big? How do Koalas get chlamydia? And, what the hell is going on with Cricket?

Australian Rules Football, I get. It makes sense to me. While different from American sport, the rules, as they are, make sense. As does the scoring and the point of the whole thing. The same can not be said for Cricket. When I say I don't get it, I really don't get it. I don't even know what the objective of the game is. When reading a headline about a cricket test match, it is as if it is written in a foreign language. Overs, innings, tons, wickets, runs. The words make sense on their own. Sort of. But, then you add the numbers and it becomes a mess. An incomprehensible mess. I've read about Cricket, in the hopes of getting some insight, but it only serves to make me more confused.

It is one place that Australia and I must agree to disagree. Unless I can get the hottie in the Man Candy photo this week to explain it to me. He seems like he'd be a good teacher.
_

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I think you have to live in a country that's ruled by a Queen to understand cricket.

Something more permanent sounds exciting. And will have to go out drinking and checking out hot footy guys in June :)

Heidi Champa said...

Well, if that's true Kathryn, then it makes perfect sense why I don't get Cricket. It's my destiny as an American. ;)

Absolutely! A drink/hot footy guys sound like a plan. :)