Saturday, December 31, 2011

Watching the Whole World Wind Around and Round


This year really got away from me. It seems like every time I turned around, another week was gone and my list of things I didn't get accomplished grew to disasterous proportions. It was easy to get caught up in the cycle of falling short and beating myself up. I went through that wringer far too many times for my liking in 2011.

When I sat down to write this post, I honestly thought I wouldn't have many good things to say and it would be a bit of a downer. Until I did a bit of bookkeeping and a bit of soul searching and realized how much I had to be grateful for this year. 34 publications. Somehow, that number completely got by me. I would have guessed it was a quarter of that. That's how distorted my view has become. My perspective seems to have taken a holiday this year, which is something I most certainly have to fix in the new year. As for my work in the coming year, my goals are to keep writing and hope that people enjoy it. Everything else is just window dressing.

I'm so proud of the work I've done this year, a fact that has all too easily gotten lost in the shuffle of life's everyday frustrations. Far too often I let the mundane and trivial angst of life cloud my enjoyment of things. So, I guess that is another thing for me to tackle in 2012.

The only things I'm really wishing for in 2012 is a little more peace, a decent sale price on our house and to spend some more time in Australia. It would be nice to have a few things published as well. If I can have that, I'll be a happy girl.

So, farewell, 2011. It was nice. And, not so nice. But, I wouldn't really change a thing.

Happy New Year everyone!!
_

No comments: