Monday, July 19, 2010

What If I Never Lost You, I Wouldn't Have to Find You All Over


I started out my life as a pretty big slob. As my older sister can attest, I didn't much care where my stuff ended up or how our room looked, which drove her neat-nick brain insane. But, once I was on my own, I started to change, mostly by necessity. If I couldn't find something, there was no longer anyone there to find it for me. For that reason, my neatness and organization has improved dramatically. I can find damn near anything, or at least have a reasonable idea of where it might be hiding.

That is why I was so perplexed when my mother told me she found a box of my things in a closet at her place. It was a room I lived in for only a few months, mostly during breaks from college, after my brother packed up his giant water bed and left home. The box contained many treasures that I thought were lost forever. Things that I have searched high and low for, thing I assumed had gone to the great cosmic never-never land where odd socks and lost car keys live. But, they were tucked neatly away, with my name scrawled on the top of the box. Of course, the top of the box was covered with years of junk. It's the circle of life, I suppose.

I was delighted to rediscover old concert ticket stubs, pictures, pins, my first drivers license and my most favorite, a list of reasons I loved my then-boyfriend-now-husband. It is an adorable list, and one I am so glad didn't go the way of the dodo. I'm still sifting through the detritus of my past, and loving every minute of it. I also revisited my prom dress. Size 6, and I thought I was a cow. Hell, I would kill to be that fat today. I did look fucking fierce in that dress.

There is a light at the end of the work tunnel, and I'm running towards it. Maybe some Man Candy motivation would help. Ah, yes. . . that did the trick.
_

2 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

How very cool. A treasure chest!

Heidi Champa said...

It was pretty cool Craig. I keep finding so much great stuff. I still can't believe it was there the whole time.