Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oh No, I'm Not Too Cool

If there's one thing that going back to school has taught me, is that I am still as nerdy as ever. I thought that I had slayed the nerd within, gotten a wee bit cooler over the years. But, I'm afraid that is just not true. It was made evident to me today, that there is just going to be no hiding that nerdy girl from the rest of my classmates.

I got a 95 on my first graded assignment, and I was actually giddy. I wanted to show someone, but I didn't think any of my cooler-that-thou classmates would have been interested. I've found myself very easily falling back into the roll of the good student; seeking the approval of my professor as ardently as I ever did. I'm currently working on an assignment that I have tried to feign ambivalence about. But, deep down, I'm stressing. I want to do a good job, I want my teachers to think that I'm a good writer. So sue me.

As with my previous nerd-dom, I am just a hop skip and a jump away from staying after class and asking for extra credit. I shouldn't have to worry about getting hassled by the cool girls about my nerdiness. They're too busy to notice me now.
_

2 comments:

Craig Sorensen said...

I'll give you a virtual high five, and of course, being that we are both nerds, our hands will completely miss each other.

So hang that 95 on your fridge!

Janine Ashbless said...

I feel the same Heidi - nerdishness is forever. And we shouldn't be ashamed. Not really. It makes us so happy!