Thursday, February 12, 2009

Due To Lack of Interest, Tomorrow's Canceled


Both of my classes were canceled today, and I'm bummed. Back in the day, if I had been handed a free day, it would have felt like a "get-out-of-jail-free" card. Even with the classes I actually liked, any reason to skip was a good reason.

But, all that seems to have changed. Apparently, my nerdiness is worse than I thought. What would the 20 year old me think? She would be sorely disappointed. I have turned into that which I feared most. A serious student.

But, it gets worse. The real reason I'm disappointed about missing class is because my Nonfiction Prose professor had asked me to share an essay I wrote last week with the whole class. He liked it so much, and thought it was so good that he wanted everyone else to hear it as an example of "strong voice, humor and wit." He had scrawled on the bottom of the last page, "Get this published, NOW!!"

Now, I'm the first to admit that I was shocked by his strong opinion of my work. I'm a fiction writer. What do I know of writing nonfiction? I took this class because I was, in my estimation, an amateur at this whole truth thing. Outside of some record reviews I did years ago, my life has been all about ficition. My inner nerd jumped at the chance to get a pat on the head, stand in front of the class and be hated by my fellow students as the teacher's pet. I have never in my life been the teacher's pet. I'm more of the smart-ass-in-the-back kind of girl. None of my former professors liked me all that much. To have one take a shine to me so quickly is a little disconcerting.

But, now I will have to wait until next week to share my story and get my gold star. What is a nerd to do?
_

9 comments:

EllaRegina said...

That's very cool about your essay!

I would use this unexpected time to write another one! ;-)

You're less of an amateur at "this whole truth thing" than you think. You've been alive for x number of years. You look, you listen. You think. You have opinions, observations.

You can write.

"Just" put it down without altering or inventing for fiction's sake, and there you have it. I'm making it sound simple, I know, but think of nonfiction prose as writing a letter, or even a postcard, to your best friend.

For starters, anyway.

GO, Heidi, GO!

Heidi Champa said...

Thank you so much for the pep talk EllaRegina. I needed that.

I just wouldn't be me if I didn't make things more difficult on myself. I'll have to put that into the "work on it" column.

Kathryn said...

If you weren't enthused about going to class, then what's the point of studying? It's not something you *have* to do.

Nice work with the essay. Non-fiction isn't so different from fiction really :D

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks, Kathryn.

Luckily for me, my life is often stranger than fiction. So, I'll always have material.

Jeremy Edwards said...

Kudos, Heidi! Wow, "Get this published, NOW!!" Awesome!

My spamword is etictica! Erotica with Tic-Tacs?

Sommer Marsden said...

That is awesome! Wonderful. My inner nerd would be trembling. I'm with you. But here is a secret: you can be the teacher's pet and the smart ass in the back of the class, given the right class and the right teacher. That is the holy grail of school.

One week. NOt too long. I say drink. I'll share the wine my man brought me. ;)
xoxo
sommer

Heidi Champa said...

Thanks Jeremy and Sommer.

I'd love some wine Sommer. I'll get the glasses out. Wanna stop by too, Jeremy?

Jeremy Edwards said...

Oops—I'm behind on the drinking. Any left?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the very cool compliment on your paper. :)